Wednesday, April 21, 2010


It's always fun when a piece of knitting experimentation turns out to be useful. Even better when the piece of knitting has been sitting around for years.

At some point (probably 10 -12 years ago) I did some squares knitted in the round, joined to each other. I liked the resulting fabric, but I didn't particularly enjoy the actual knitting. It was too pretty to throw away, so it went into a drawer with the results of other abandoned knitting ideas.

Then, last month I got a new mini laptop computer and needed a sleeve to protect the lovely purple exterior. I pawed through the abandoned knitted pieces and decided these squares were the perfect thing. The piece could be folded to fit the laptop, more or less, with just a few squares needing to be knitted on to complete the sleeve. When it was not quite snug enough, I lightly felted it until the fit was good. This little laptop envelope has been very useful, and I'm enjoying using it. And the laptop. :)



I really enjoyed knitting the Citron from the current Instead of the lace weight wool, I used some Blue Heron Rayon Metallic. Heavier yarn, different fiber, and sparkly!

It's just a little bigger than the original Citron, and very drapey. Exactly what I wanted. Even though it's rayon, I decided to wet the Citron and lay it out for some blocking. I did *not* expect to see this much purple in the sink after soaking it for a couple of minutes!

Still love it.